You have 15 minutes remaining for the course
Creating Users 0/1
Syndicating Content 0/1
Share Bins (Sharing Content to Other OneCMS Sites)
Share Bins syndicate all posts made in a specified category (or Push Bins, podcasts or Events) to any other OneCMS site(s) in real-time. This enables site owners to create automatic aggregating or topic-specific posts from any number of different sites without relying on RSS feeds or any kind of timed events. Put simply: it re-posts the content of one site to one or more other sites.
Setting Up Share Bins
To setup a Share Bin, make sure that you (or whoever is setting the Share Bin up) are a user on both the sending and the receiving site. To set up a Share Bin, the first thing you will need to do is create a specific category or push bin (if they do not exist already) that you would like to use to share content between the two sites.
All of the work to setup the Share Bin is done on the site the content will be originating from. Nothing needs to be done on the sites receiving the syndicated content.
- To setup a Share Bin, go to Settings > Share Bins
- This will bring you to the Share Bin setup screen (which may have no Share Bins yet setup as shown in the image below)
- Click the Green + button to create a new Share Bin
- The fields to setup the new Share Bin are now displayed:
Creating The Share Bin
First, we’ll create the Share Bin and then add the sites you want to syndicate to it. The fields at the top of the screen are for creating the Share Bin.
- First give the Share Bin a descriptive Name. In this case, we are setting up a share bin to syndicate content to all of my country sites.
- Next we are going to select which Taxonomy will be used to trigger the syndication. This will be either a category or push bin (or even podcasts or events), depending on how you would like to have the sharing setup.
- In this example, we will select Category as the Taxonomy.
- Note that when we select the Category Taxonomy, a new dropdown opens up below it to select the Term (in this case which Category should trigger the syndication).
- In this example we’ll select the Country Daypop Category
- Now we’ll determine which categories come over with the post to the sites that are being syndicated to with the Transmit Post Category field.
- No Categories: No categories will come with the post, it will be posted to the receiving site with no categories selected
- All Categories: This will publish the post to all the receiving sites with all of the categories that were selected on the source site. If the categories do not exist on the receiving site(s), they will be automatically created.
- Syndication Category Only: This will publish the post to the receiving sites only with the Category that the Share Bin was setup with (in our example, this would just publish it with the Country Daypop category on the receiving sites). We’ll be using this selection for our example.
- The final field for setting up a Share Bin is Transmit Post Status.
- This selection allows you choose whether the post will automatically publish on the receiving site, or if it will be set to draft for someone at the receiving site to review before publishing. We’ll leave it at default (which will take the post status of the post from the source website).
Add Sites to the Share Bin
- Adding Sites to the Share Bin are done at the bottom of the screen.
- Adding a site to Share Bin is as easy as entering the site you want to syndicate to and your username and password for OneCMS.
- You can also set the posts that are syndicated to be trashed on the receiving sites after a certain amount of days using the Post Trash dropdown. We’ll leave our setting as Never.
- You can add additional sites to the Share Bin by clicking the Go button next to Add new servers to group
Saving the Share Bin
- Once you are done, click the Save Settings button at the bottom of the screen. This will save the Share Bin and the sites you have added to it.
- You can verify the sites have been added correctly by viewing the Status of each site you have added to the Share Bin. The Authentication will display as OK.You can now begin sharing content.
Removing a Site from a Share Bin
- To remove a site from the Share Bin, select the checkbox next to the site and click the Save Settings button. This will remove the selected website from the Share Bin.
Deleting the Share Bin
- To delete the entire Share Bin, click the Delete Share Group button at the bottom of the screen. This cannot be undone!