You have 10 weeks remaining for the course
Business Directory 0/1
The OneCMS Business Directory allows you to build a local directory of business providers with rich, detailed information about each business. What an awesome way to forge relationships with potential advertisers while being an essential resource for your community!
The Business Directory Frontend
When you first begin your Business Directory, it will be somewhat empty. By default, it shows all of the categories of businesses there are in your directory (you can set these categories up in the Directory Admin)
Once your directory is live, you can begin receiving submissions from businesses to be in your directory.
Submitting a Business for Inclusion in the Directory
Any business owner can submit their business for inclusion in your Business Directory, however, it will NOT be live in the directory until you review and approve the business.
Here’s how a business owner would submit their information:
- They would click the Create a Listing button in the directory.
- This would bring them to the Business Submission Form. From here they would first select which business category they belong to. In this case, our business is a Grocery store, so we’ll select Grocery.
- Next, they would fill out all of the pertinent information about their business (description, contact info, address, etc..).
- Finally, they can upload some images pertaining to their business (logo, pictures, etc..). They can drag and drop the images right into the form.
- Once they are done filling out the form, they will click the Complete Listing button which will submit the business into the directory for your moderation.
- When someone submits a business, all the administrators on the website will receive an email notification with links to view the business info and approve/decline the business.
- In the backend of the Business Directory, you’ll see live and pending businesses. Businesses that have not been moderated yet will show as Pending
- To moderate a pending business, edit the business. You will be redirected to the Details page for the business. From here you can add/edit any information about the business.
- If you want to approve the listing, just click the blue Publish button on the business. If you don’t want to add the business, you can leave it pending or delete the business.
Viewing a Business in the Directory
- Now that we approved the above business, it will display in the frontend Business Directory. It was submitted to the Grocery category, so that category now shows one business listed.
- You can either click on the category name to filter the results, search for a business, or see all businesses by clicking the View All Listings button. Let’s view all of the business in the Directory. Right now there’s only two in the Directory, so they will be listed.
- By clicking on the Name of the Business you can go to the detail page for the business.
Allowing Businesses to Edit their Listings
If you want to let a Business owner Edit or Delete their listing without your assistance, this can be setup in the Directory Admin.
- You can allow this in the Directory Admin under General > Registration and checking the box for Allow anonymous users to edit/manage listings with an access key?
- If the above setting is enabled, the Business owners can click the Edit or Delete buttons on the business.
- This will redirect them to a form where they need to input the email address of the user who initially submitted the business and a special access key.
- If this is the first time they’ve tried to edit their business, they can request an access key by using the Request Access key? link which will automatically email an access key to them.
Modifying or Customizing the Business Directory Page
You can add extra text or banners/imagery to the Business Directory Page.
Generally, the page named Business Directory and will have a single shortcode in the body of it. The shortcode is what renders the Business Directory on your website, so any text or images you add above the shortcode will display above the Directory and anything you add below the shortcode will display below the Directory on your website.