You have 20 minutes remaining for the course
Voice Skills – Overview
OneCMS Voice Skills go way beyond just playing your station’s live stream. With OneCMS Voice Skills, you can add custom Pre-Roll, a Custom Goodbye Message, Access your Podcasts and have Alexa read your site’s headlines. And you can change many of these features on the fly right from the OneCMS dashboard!
The first thing of importance is knowing what your Voice Skill Invocations are. Invocations are what your audience must say to perform actions on your Voice Skill.
When your Voice Skill launches, our Production Team will let you know what the invocations are for your skill, but if you ever forget, you can also find that information by searching for your skill on Amazon. Your skill info page on Amazon will list out the invocations.
- You can search for your skill by going to https://www.amazon.com and change the search dropdown to Alexa Skills. Put in the name of your skill and click enter to search.
- You’ll see your skill in the Search results. Click on the skill to get to the skill info page.
- The info page will have the basic information for the skill (including the ability to enable it). But it will also list out the three main voice invocations for the skill.
Enabling Your Skill on an Alexa Device
Your audience can enable your skill on an Alexa device in one of a few different ways.
Enabling via Amazon.com
You can enable the skill manually by following the directions above to find the skill on Amazon.com and clicking the Enable button. This will automatically enable the skill on all of the Alexa devices you have linked under the account you are currently logged into on amazon.com.
Enabling via the Alexa App
Your audience can also enable the skill via the Alexa app on their mobile device.
- In the app, click the More menu and select Skills & Games
- On the Skills & Games screen, click the search icon at the top of the screen.
- On the Search screen, enter the name of your skill. The app should automatically perform a search and display your skill in the listing below. Click on your skill name.
- On the Skill Info page, click the Enable to Use button. This will automatically enable the skill on all of the Alexa devices you have linked under the account you are currently logged into on the Alexa app.
Enabling the Skill via Voice
The easiest way to enable your voice skill is by voice. Depending on how unique your voice skill name is, this may work 100% of the time or not always. If your voice skill name is very unique, your audience should have good luck enabling without issue. If your voice skill name sounds similar to other voice skills that are live, the Alexa device may list out a number of skills it thinks you are trying to enable.
There are a couple of different voice utterances your audience can use to enable your skill on their device:
- Good: “Open <your skill name>“
- Better: “Enable the <your skill name> skill”
Either of the above commands should enable and open the skill.
Managing your Voice Skill
As noted above you can manage a number of features of your Voice Skills directly from OneCMS. View the other Voice Skill tutorials listed on the left side menu on this page to learn about adding pre-roll, changing your live stream URL, and more!
Voice Skills are managed in the Voice Skill Manager. That can be accessed by going to OneCMS Tools > Voice Skill Manager.