You have 20 minutes remaining for the course
Overview and Settings 0/2
Video Players & Playlists 0/2
Video Episodes 0/2
Pre-Roll Advertisements 0/1
This lesson is about building and managing playlists. It explains the types of playlists and how they are used to publish video content.
Playlist Types: Manual & Dynamic
- Manual playlists are populated by manually adding videos into a playlist. The order is set by the publish dates of the videos (newest videos display first).
- Dynamic playlists are populated based on tags associated with a video, to create a dynamic video set. You do not need to manually add a video to a dynamic playlist. Videos will automatically be added based on your tag rules.
- For example, you can create a dynamic playlist that follows this rule: Include all videos that are tagged with ‘Entertainment’. If you tag a video with ‘Entertainment’, it will automatically be added to your dynamic playlist and that video will be included during playback.
Creating a Playlist
You can create a playlist in the One CMS Dashboard by choosing Playlists from the Video section of the menu.
When you arrive on the Playlists page you will see a list of any existing playlists as well a form on the right side of the screen to create new playlists.
All you need to create a new playlist is a Name. The other fields are all optional at this point. Give the Playlist a Name and click the Add New Playlist button.
The new Playlist will display automatically in the Playlist Listing. You’ll note it is labeled as a Manual Playlist by default. All new playlists are Manual unless you change them to be Dynamic. We’ll go over that in a bit below.
Let’s edit the new Playlist and see what other options there are. Hover over the Playlist name and click Edit
Editing a Playlist
When you are on the Edit screen for a playlist, you’ll be able to edit the fields you saw when first creating the playlist at the top of the screen. (Name, Description, etc…)
Below that is some handy code you can copy to either insert the playlist using shortcode anywhere on your website or embed code that can be used on any website!
Selecting the Playlist Type
The next section allows you to make the Playlist either Manual or Dynamic.
As we noted above, there are considerable differences between the way videos are added to Manual and Dynamic playlists, so setting them up correctly is imperative to having your videos end up in the correct playlists.
Manual Playlists are very straightforward. When you upload or edit video episodes, you can select which Manual Playlists to add them to. The videos will be available in the playlist unless you manually remove them. Tags that you add to a video will have no effect on what Manual Playlists they are added to. Playlists are Manual by Default.
Dynamic Playlists are a bit more complicated but way more flexible in how you use them. When you make a Playlist Dynamic, you indicate which tags for it always be scanning for. When someone uploads or edits a video and adds a matching tag(s), the video will be automatically and instantly added to the playlist.
Let’s make this Dynamic Playlist:
- First, select the Dynamic radio button.
- Then enter the tag or tags you want to be scanning for (note the tags must already exist to select them. You can create new Tags in the Tags screen in Video.)
- You can also choose whether the selection should be applied to videos that contain All or the specified tags or Any of the specified tags.
- If you choose All, the video must contain all the specified tags to be either included in the playlist.
- If you choose Any, videos that contain any of the specified tags will be included.
Using the example in the gif above, we set the playlist to be Dynamic. The Playlist will automatically include videos with featured or top videos as tags. Since we selected ANY as the Dynamic Method, the video only needs to include one of those tags to be included in the playlist.
The remaining fields for social links are only used if your theme supports it.
Saving the Playlist
Let’s go ahead and Save the Playlist by clicking the Update button.
Going back to the Playlist listing screen, the new Playlist is displayed. Since we changed it to a Dynamic playlist the type has changed to Dynamic as well.
Now that you have your Playlists setup, you are ready to start uploading videos into them!